2023 SME Housebuilder Survey now live
Now in its fourth year, the survey is one of the most comprehensive studies of SME housebuilders in the UK. The findings are used to inform the ‘SME State of Play report’, which examines the opportunities and challenges facing small and medium home builders.
- Securing and processing planning permission to the point where construction work can start is the major barrier to growth according to 93% of SME developers
- The availability of land is a major issue for 52% of SME builders
- 76% believe Local Authority staffing shortages are the main cause of delays in the process
- Rising material (99%) and energy (88%) costs are a major concern for companies
- Over two-thirds are impacted by the ‘nutrients’ issue that is restricting development in more than a quarter of England’s local authority areas
- 92% of SMEs are unhappy with the Government’s current approach on housing
This year’s State of Play SME housebuilder survey covers topics such as planning, sustainability, development finance, the Government’s approach to housebuilding, and skills and training.
The results of the survey will inform the next SME State of Play report, in partnership with Travis Perkins and Close Brothers Property finance.
The survey will take just six minutes to complete and is open until close of business on Tuesday 29 August.