Diversity & Inclusion
The industry recognises that if it is to attract the best and the brightest to home building there is a need to develop a more diverse and inclusive workforce.
The Home Building Skills Partnership is working with home builders and their supply chain to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We have established a Diversity and Inclusion Group to ensure the sector is recognised as being inclusive and progressive. The key purpose of the group is to increase homebuilding support, adoption and implementation of policies that promote, attract and sustain a diverse and inclusive workforce.
The group is open to all members of HBF and the Home Building Skills Partnership. Please contact Emma.Ramell@hbf.co.uk if you would like further information or to join.
Diversity is a recognition that everyone is unique. In practical terms, this means acknowledging the benefits of being able to draw upon a wide range of experiences and perspectives in decision-making processes through having a workforce that is formed of a broad mix of people.
Building on this, an inclusive workplace is one in which everyone feels valued and able to perform at their best, regardless of their circumstances, background, or identity.
- Agile Working Toolkit - BuildUK have created a toolkit for businesses to understand best practice on implementing more agile working.
- National Association of Women in Construction - The National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) is committed to encouraging individuals to pursue, establish and sustain successful careers in the Construction Industry through encouraging opportunities to access first-hand knowledge, share best practice, develop personal and professional skills and to grow professional networks.
- Acas Provide a range of resources on creating fair workplaces.
- Women into Construction - Is an independent not-for-profit organisation that promotes gender equality in construction.
- #YesSheCan - Have two aims: To support women to break their career glass ceiling. They do this by showcasing real life role models to empower and inspire. They also offer coaching, mentoring and various training and skills development sessions
2) They work with organisations to positively impact their gender balance. This includes internal and external support.
- Mental Health First Aid England - My Whole Self campaign is calling on employers to become actively anti-racist. In 2020 we shouldn't have to leave parts of our identity behind - be that our cultural or ethnic background, sexuality, or health - when we work.