Home Building Skills Partnership (HBSP)
The Home Building Skills Partnership (HBSP) aims to develop, grow and sustain a programme to provide the workforce the industry requires to deliver the further increases in housing supply the country desperately needs. It will focus on attracting new entrants into the industry, and on providing focussed training to develop the qualified workforce needed to construct today’s high quality new homes.
The Partnership is overseen by a Board, made up of representatives from house builders, warranty providers, training and trade bodies that will guide and direct it and define its operational parameters and priorities.
The day to day operations of the Partnership will be undertaken by a dedicated team within HBF. The Partnership is funded via a CITB grant.
Over its first four years it is hoped that HBSP programmes will engage with over 3,500 companies, more than 40,000 workers and some 180 Colleges and Training Providers.
The Partnership is focussed on three main areas, an activity group has been established for each;
- Attract - how to attract new entrants into the industry
- Skills and development – how the industry trains its staff
- Supporting supply chain development – the training interface with subcontractors.
The Home Building Skills Partnership (HBSP) is chaired by Redrow CEO John Tutte. It was set up in June 2016, funded by CITB and by industry to develop, grow and sustain a programme that will increase industry skills capacity. Over its first four years it is hoped that HBSP programmes will engage with over 3,500 companies, more than 40,000 workers and some 180 Colleges and Training Providers. The HBSP focus is to:
- Develop an improved public identity for homebuilding
- Influence the development of a more professional, fully trained workforce
- Increase productivity and the value added per employee
- Improve the quality and relevance of industry training
- Co-ordinate the tackling of common workforce challenges
- Influence and leverage investment in skills to the benefit of the homebuilding industry
- Current HBSP partners include HBF, CITB, NHBC, FMB and a number of Developers, Homebuilders and Supply Chain companies
The Leadership Board comprises:
- Andy George, Barratt
- Anne Billson-Ross, Taylor Wimpey
- Anthony Wilkinson, Crest Nicholson
- Brian Berry, FMB
- Chris Carr, Carr & Carr (Builders) Ltd
- Dave Smith, St Mowden Homes
- Jenny Herdman, HBF
- Joanne Iddon, Morris Homes
- John Fitzgerald, Telford Homes
- John Slaughter, HBF
- John Tutte, Redrow plc
- Neil Jefferson, NHBC
- Sarah Beale, CITB
- Steve Stone, Crest Nicholson plc