Graphic Version

Policy & Activities


Housebuilding companies plan and acquire residential housing sites and mixed use schemes have a requirement for property and planning lawyers to deal with the development process. Working in industry, all lawyers need commercial acumen, good communication skills and the ability to work under pressure.

Solicitors often have both planning and property development skills and are involved in option agreements, planning process and the subsequent site acquisition.

Legal Managers deal with the development process from the time of site acquisition. They are responsible for the production of the developer’s pack, containing the developer’s contract, title deed transfer, planning consents and legal information necessary to complete house sales to customers. Legal managers generally need a formal legal qualification, either as a solicitor, licensed conveyancer or member of the Institute of Legal Executives.

Conveyancing staff are employed to deal with the legal plot sale procedure and the acquisition and disposal of any associated part exchange properties. Many conveyancing staff are licensed conveyancers or members of the Institute of Legal Executives. Many companies provide in-house training for conveyancers and often no formal qualifications are required as close supervision is provided.


The Finance department prepare the company budget of quarterly forecasts and create monthly accounts. Authorise and produce payment and invoices. Create reports and monitor the spending and costing within the company. The finance department also has a payroll team which issue and process the income for the employees within the company.

Finance/Legal Job Types & Profiles

< Back to About Careers in Home Building